The inspection process for advertisements
Before advertisements are shown on Leaflad, they are checked to ensure that they comply with our advertising policy. Most advertisements are generally assessed within 24 hours. However, in some cases it can take slightly longer.
What you need to know
- The advertising policy applies to all advertisements and commercial content shown by or sold via Leaflad. Your use of the Leaflad-advertising products and services forms part of Leaflad in accordance with the General Terms and Conditions of Leaflad (www.leaflad.com/terms).
- Advertisers must understand and comply with all the applicable legislation and regulations. Failure to comply can have different consequences, including the cancellation of the placed advertisement and the termination of your account.
- We do not use sensitive personal data for advertising target groups. The subjects you have chosen for your advertising target group are not a reflection of the personal preferences, characteristics or values of the users.
- If you manage advertisements on behalf of other advertisers, each advertiser or client must be managed via separate advertising accounts. You must not change the advertiser or client linked to an existing advertising account. To this end you need to generate a new account. It is your responsibility to ensure that each advertiser complies with this advertising policy.
- We retain the right, at our discretion, to approve or reject an advertisement, such as advertisements that negatively affect our relation with our users or that promote content, services or activities that violate our competitive position, interests or our advertising policy.
- Leaflad can grant permission for policy rules which require prior written permission.
- These policy rules can be changed at any moment without prior notification.
- Fake articles. We forbid the sale or promotion of fake articles. Fake articles have a trademark or logo that is identical or virtually indistinguishable from someone else’s trademark. These articles imitate the brand characteristics of the product in an attempt to present it as an official product of the brand owner.
- Hazardous products or services. We consider it important for people to feel safe, online and offline. That is why it is not permitted to advertise certain products and services that cause damage or injury.
Examples of dangerous content: drugs (synthetic or organic); psycho-active substances; equipment that enables drug use; weapons; ammunition; explosive materials and fireworks; instructions for making explosives or other harmful products; tobacco products.
- Inappropriate content. We value diversity. We also respect users and want to ensure that they are not insulted by advertisements, websites or apps that are inappropriate for use on our advertisement network. That is why advertising is not permitted for the following:
- hate, violence, intimidation, racism, sexual, religious or political intolerance or organisations with such beliefs
- content that probably shocks or leads to disgust
- content that exploits others or seems to dishonestly abuse others
Examples of inappropriate or offensive content: the hurting or intimidating of a person or group; racial discrimination; paraphernalia of hateful groups; explicit images of crimes or accidents; animal abuse; murder; self-mutilation; perjury or blackmail; the sale or trading of protected animals; advertisements with blasphemous language.
- Abuse of the advertising network We want the advertisements shown in Leaflad to be practical, varied, relevant and safe for users. That is why the following is not permitted:
- harmful advertisements, sites or apps
- advertisements that promote sites or apps that offer little unique value for users and that are mainly aimed at increasing traffic
- companies that try to gain an unfair advantage in the advertisement auction,
- companies that try to avoid our inspection process
Our policy focuses on providing an optimum user experience. We have developed an extensive advertisement policy to avoid advertisements that do not comply with these quality requirements. We take every attempt to cheat or avoid our inspection processes very seriously.
Examples of abuse of the advertisement network: advertising for content containing malware, ‘cloaking’ or other techniques to hide the real destination where the users are guided to; promoting ‘arbitration’ or destination pages for the sole or primary purpose of showing advertisements; advertising for a ‘bridge or gateway destination’ that has been solely designed to send the users to another website; advertising with the sole or primary purpose of gaining recommendations of the user on public social networks; gaming or manipulation of settings in order to avoid our policy control systems.
- Collection and use of data. We want users to be able to trust that their personal information is respected and treated with care. Our advertisers are not permitted to abuse this information or to collect these for unspecified purposes or without suitable safety measures.
- Misrepresentation. We don’t want users to feel misled by the advertisements shown. That is why the following is not permitted:
- advertisements in which users are requested to purchase or download something or to do anything else without first having all the relevant information and without having given his/her explicit permission thereto
- advertisements in which you present your products or services in an inaccurate, unrealistic and incorrect manner
Examples of misrepresentation: leaving out or making illegible invoicing details, such as how, what and costs will be charged from the users; leaving out or making illegible the costs involved with financial services, such as interest rates, levies and penalties, the leaving out of VAT or license numbers, contact details or physical addresses if relevant; promising offers that are not available; including misleading or unrealistic statements on weight loss of financial gain; collecting donations under false pretences; phishing or incorrectly claiming to be a reputable business in order for users to provide their personal or financial information.
The following deals with content that is sometimes sensitive from a legal or cultural perspective. Online advertising can be an excellent way to reach clients. However, we will do everything we can not to show advertisements or inappropriate advertisements when it involves sensitive matters. That is why advertising for the following content is only permitted subject to specific restrictions. These advertisements are possibly not shown to each user on each location. Advertisers are possibly asked to comply with additional requirements before their advertisements are suitable for showing.
- Adult content. We limit the promotion of the following adult content:
- Offline erotic entertainment
- Sex shops
- Dating services
- Services for international brides
- Sexually suggestive content
- Images of bare skin and nakedness
The following is not permitted for promotions of adult content:
- Violation of the applicable legislation and regulations on the locations your advertisements targets
- Reaching minors
- Offering sexually explicit content
- Offering subjects with regard to sexual acts with minor or sexual acts without mutual consent
- Promoting escort or other services that could be conceived as the providing of sexual favours in return for compensation
Examples of adult content: strip clubs; erotic films; erotic toys; erotic magazines; sexually enticing products; dating websites; models in sexually tinted poses
- Alcohol. We limit the advertising of alcoholic beverages and beverages that look like alcoholic beverages. You must comply with the local legislation and sector norms as they apply in the location on which your advertisement is targeted and promote alcohol responsibly. You are, for example, not permitted to incite excessive or competitive liquor use, target the advertisement on minors, suggest physical or social benefits of alcohol consumption or approve driving under the influence of alcohol.
Examples of limited content on alcoholic beverages: beer; wine; sake; liquor; Champaign; strong wine; alcohol-free beer; alcohol-free wine; alcohol-free distilled beverages
- Copyrights. We limit content that violates the rights of third parties, including copyrights, trademarks, privacy rights, publicity rights or other personal rights or property rights. When you wish to promote copyrighted content and you consider that this is legally permissible, then you can send your documents on the copyrights to us to gain permission for the advertisement.
- Games of chance and games. We limit the advertising for the following content that is related to games of chance.
- offline and online games of chance
- online information on games of chance
- online games with which money or prizes can be won
- online games that are normally played in casinos, regardless whether payment is required or money prizes can be won
When advertising content related to games of chances, the following guidelines apply:
- You must comply with the applicable legislation or rules of industry as they apply in the locations where your advertisement is aimed for.
- You must comply with the local licensing conditions for all products and services related to games of chance you are advertising.
- You must provide clear information on your landing page on responsible participation in games of chance.
Moreover, you must receive advance permission from Leaflad before advertising online content that is related to games of chance.
Examples for limited permissible content related to games of chance: physical casinos; places where users can bet on poker, bingo, roulette or sports events; national or private lotteries; comparison sites for sports related games of chance; websites that contain bonus codes or offers for games of chance websites; online training material for casino games; sites that offer poker games without money prizes; games site with games that are generally not played in casinos but with which money prizes can be won.
- Health care and drugs. We limit advertising for content related to health care, such as:
- freely available drugs
- drugs available on recipe and information on drugs available on recipe
- online and offline pharmacies
- products and services related to pregnancy and fertility
- medical services and procedures
- recruitment for clinical trials
- treatment for the enhancement of sexual performances
The limitations applicable to this content can differ depending on the product or service which you advertise and the countries you are targeting. Certain content, such as non-approved substances, may not be advertised anywhere.
It is possible you need to receive prior permission from Leaflad before you can show health care related advertisements. This depends on the content you are advertising and the countries in which the advertisements are shown.
- Financial services. We want users to have received information to take well-informed financial decisions. Our policy is focused in providing information to users on the costs of financial products and to protect users against harmful and misleading practises. For the purposes of this policy we define ‘financial products and services’ as products and service relating to the management and the investment of money including personal advice.
When you promote financial products and services you must comply with the national and national legislation of each region targeted by your advertisements. For example: including specific publication if required by local legislation.
- Legal requirements. You are also responsible for complying with the advertisement policy of Leaflad as well as all applicable legislation and regulations in the locations where the advertisement is shown.
This advertising policy was originally drawn up in the Dutch language (NL). If any translated version of this agreement contradicts the Dutch language version, the Dutch language version is binding.
Last amended: 20 September 2016